How to Destroy Your Network
We spend years developing our network through close personal contacts as well as digital contacts. But that which we spent years to build can be destroyed overnight. In this video, we examine seven classic mistakes that executives make with their networks. Would love your feedback on ideas to build your network and what kind of mistakes to avoid in destroying your network.
*Text version provided below the video player.
Let's exam seven classic mistakes that executives make with their networks.
1. Failure to Show Gratitude and Acknowledge Contributions. A simple thank you or inexpensive gift can be priceless
2. Critical of Everything. Be positive and receptive. But if you must disagree, agree to disagree agreeably.
3. Not Listening. Probably one of the best ways to destroy your network is the failure to show honest interest in your networks ideas, stories, or conversation.
4. Promote or Pontificate about Religion, Politics or Sex. It's OK if it is expected by your network. otherwise exercise extreme caution. In today's over kill on political correctness, guaranteed you will offend someone.
5. Focused on Yourself rather than your Network. You will turn-off your network if everything is about you. Caution on self-promotion, selling and spamming.
6. The Best Conversationalists are the Ones who say the Least. Ask great questions and you will be recognized as a great conversationalist.
7. Lack of Engagement. If you ignore your networks comments, connections, and email messages, they will soon lose interest in you. On a fairly regular basis, reach out to people in your network, either personally or collectively, to show your sincere interest in them. Provide them with something that will make a difference in their lives.
So the care and feeding of your network is imperative to building great relationships that are mutually beneficial. It takes time and considerable effort, but the return on your investment can be priceless. Think very carefully about how you are interacting with you network, and make changes where necessary to create ties that bind.
Would love your feedback on ideas to build your network and what kind of mistakes to avoid in destroying your network. Please hit your Like button if you enjoyed this post. Have an awesome day.